I've got my tickets. Now what?
PREPARE. COME. SIGN UP. BE SELECTED. TELL.
We know you have some crazy stories, so at our events, you're the show!
Come to the event with a story in mind that can be told in 10 minutes or less.
Fill out the Storyteller Sign-up Form when you check in, and put it in the hat. Get ready to be selected at random to go in front of a crowd of like-minded outdoor enthusiasts to make us laugh, freak us out, or fill us with awe.
It’s not a competition, but a few judges will be chosen at random from the audience to pick a standout, because you know you want the glory and the shitty gifts and prizes. Hint: judging criteria is just below.
Of course anyone can come and be in the audience, but we know that once things get going you’ll want to talk about that one time with that bear, or that crazy night in Pakistan. So you might as well act like the former Boy/Girl Scout that we know you are, and be prepared.
PREPARE YOUR STORY
Storytelling is an art. Adventuring is a passion. Put them together.
- Go out hard and finish strong: Have a strong first and last line already built in your head to strongly start and end with.
- Stay on course: Share a brief overview of your adventure then craft a story that creates suspense and keeps the listeners attention. Keep the logistical details brief. Too many logistical details makes for BORING listening (yawn!).
- What is the gnar factor: stories with more complexity and more intrigue are higher in gnar, we think.
- Does it make you and/or the audience want to laugh, cry, or hurl? Every good story pivots on emotion.
- Was there a key learning point? Tell it.
- Watch this brief instructional video by Dean Burke, our resident storytelling expert.
- Listen to the Boldly Went podcast.